Wednesday, April 20, 2011

La Revedere, Celine

As many of you know, I had hoped to bring Celine to the USA for treatment and therapy.  She has spina bifida, and I had located a doctor at St. Christopher's Hospital for Children in Philadelphia who was willing to work for free or for a greatly reduced rate.


You may also recall that Larisa, Celine's mother, was initially enthusiastic about the idea, but chilled considerably after her Cold Warrior grandmother went to work on her, telling her not to trust "filthy Americans," and after the rest of the family convinced her that they would help her get Celine the care she needed right in Romania.  Never mind that all these people had ignored Celine's very existence for the entire three years she's been alive; now they are going to take care of everything, in a country that has little to offer a child in Celine's condition.

Larisa had taken Celine to Bucharest for more tests on April 4th (something that wasn't even contemplated until I said I'd pay for everything).  We hadn't heard anything about Celine since then, and with the Tutova clinic now closed, we were all anxious to learn where she was, whether she had gone home with Larisa or to a CPS facility, etc., so I asked Mihaela to call Larisa.


Mihaela did call her today, and Larisa said that Celine was home with her, where Larisa lives with her grandparents and some cousins, and that she was keeping her home and would take care of everything herself.  

Mihaela said Larisa made it clear that she didn't want help from any of us, and that Larisa was practically rude.  This is such a drastic turn-about from when Larisa and I first talked, when she was warm, cheerful, and enthusiastic.

I am heartbroken.  I love that kid, and it's really hard to know that I will likely never hear anything about Celine.  Please pray that she does well, and that her mother can give her everything she deserves.




 La Revedere, Celine.

3 comments:

  1. Such a shame with this smart, vital little girl who was loved and will be truly missed by many. Thank you Mihaela, for what you tried to accomplish...... And Pat,you went above and beyond the call of duty for her. As for all the others we love and bid a fond "La Revedere," to.... Nothing and nobody can take the memories and bonds we each have and made with our babies. We must remember this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry, Pat, that this is how everything turned. We all know that, in your heart, all you wanted was to help Celine, with nothing more in return. I am keeping all our babies in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pat, I think Robin and Jane have said it perfectly. You gave your all and so hard to know how close you came to helping Celine. Part of me wants to still believe that Larisa may hit an end in Bucharest and will reach back out to nurse Monica. So I am going to think that maybe this can still happen. And continue to send good thoughts to carry to all our babies. And okay, now I am going to stop crying....

    ReplyDelete