Saturday, April 23, 2011

Other Children in the Hospital

While here I have had the pleasure of meeting other Romanian children in the Barlad Children's Hospital, besides the children we serve.

Iolani


I am not sure that I am spelling this boy's name correctly, but I think his name is Iolani.  He was so helpful in the Tutova rooms, playing with the children, chasing the more active ones down the hall, etc.  He spoke a little English, and is just a lovely young man.  I think he's about fourteen years old.

Katirini & Iolani


After a couple of days an older boy started showing up in the Tutova rooms, ostensibly to check on Iolani, but I think because he wanted to help with the children too, if only to pass the time.  There is absolutely nothing for these children to do in the hospital:  no television, no video games, no board games, nothing.  Mostly they just lie in their beds staring at the ceiling, so the chance to chase a three year old down the hall, or hold an infant, doesn't look like such a bad deal!

The Tutova rooms are on the same hallway with the Psychiatric ward and the Neurology ward, and I am not sure which ward these boys were with.  (They didn't look like either psychiatric or neurology patients!)

I thought it was interesting that all the psychiatric and neurology patients, except Nadia, were gone by Thursday afternoon, presumably to spend the Easter weekend at home.  They have an amazing cure rate here!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment