Sunday, April 17, 2011

Make new friends, but keep the old . . .

Make new friends, but keep the old;
one is silver and the other gold.

(We used to sing that song in Brownies when I was a kid, and I can still hear it in my head.)

We visited the hospital briefly today, and got to see a few of the Tutova children:  Ana Maria, Nicoletta, Paola, Cristi, and Raul.  I don't have pictures of them yet, except Raul, but made a few notes: 
  • Ana Maria is as happy and buoyant as ever, and has the mobile from Tutova in her crib to keep her smiling.
  • Nicoletta is also as happy and charming as ever, but she is being tested to see why she, at 15 months of age, has pubic hair, a slightly misshapen head, and constant respiratory problems.  (I am thinking CAH.)
  • Paola seems quite content here in the hospital, and less volatile.
  • Raul is still his serious, brooding self.  
Caroline Ruhl, another volunteer who is only 19 years old but has been here six times before (!) and who is now in the sixth week of a nine week stay (!), her seventh (!), took these pictures.

Delia Ayana - was born a couple of weeks ago with no arms or legs; she does have one small "flipper" at her right shoulder, and a small right leg, but I don't think they will get her far, without a lot of physical and occupational therapy and protheses, which is unlikely.

She appears to be otherwise healthy and of normal intelligence.  The local doctor had initially planned to send her to Tutova, but since it closed, she was sent to the Barlad Children's Hospital.

Delia shares a room with newborn twins Ana Maria and Gabriella, who appear to be in good health, just small.  I think I'll be "stationed" in their room tomorrow.

By the way, at the Barlad Children's Hospital -- in fact, in all hospitals in Romania -- patients have to bring most of their own supplies  (and if they need a medication, the doctor will give you a note or a prescription so that you can go buy it).  This means that all these children are expected to supply their own diapers (and they use disposables here, unlike in Tutova where we used cloth).  Since none of these three children have parents, or at least no parent who can afford disposable diapers, I'll be buying lots of them on this trip!





Nadia - age 15, is terribly emaciated, as you can see, and has terrible bedsores and breaks in her skin.   She was just recently brought to the hospital from one of the CPS homes for disabled children.  I believe that the nurses said she has cerebral palsy and epilepsy.

She is very much cognizant of her surroundings, however.  She likes to have her face stroked, but you can't touch any other part of her body because it would be too painful.  I was stroking her face and she was looking me right in the eyes, and I thought:  I wish I could give this kid a popsicle.  I bet she'd really like to be able to lick something cold and sweet!  But I don't think that would be allowed, even if one were available.





Raul - my old friend from Tutova shares a room with my new friend Delia Ayana.  Raul still seems so serious, and rarely smiles or laughs.

The playpen that my friends Donna, Linda and Traci bought him is still at Tutova, but we are determined to get it to the hospital for him, so he has some room to roam!

An aide from Tutova, Coco, is coming to the hospital tomorrow to show the staff here how to change his bandages.  And another volunteer and I think it's crazy that this child isn't on a regular course of pain management, so we are going to talk to the doctor about dosing him with Advil regularly.




\\


2 comments:

  1. nadia's pix are really hard to look at...I think...here I am in my house, surrounded by people who love me, and way "out there" are these kids/adults who are literally rotting.

    ReplyDelete