Monday, April 18, 2011

Newborns: Delia Ayana and twins Gabriela and Ana Maria

I spent most of today with three newborns:  twins Gabriela and Ana Maria, and Delia Ayana.


Dr. Romeo told me that he believes that Delia's "malformations" were caused by her mother having rubella during the pregnancy.  He also told me that she is otherwise normal, with all her internal organs in perfect working condition.  Dr. Romeo gave me his stethoscope so I could hear how strong and regular her heartbeat is.


Some of the Tutova children were brought to the hospital today, from the home for disabled children:  Ion, Ionut, Alina, and Cristi.  (No word on Celine yet.)  So the rooms that have become sort of the unofficial Tutova rooms were absolutely chaotic, with the children adjusting to another move and my colleagues trying to find enough toys and clothes and shoes for everyone.



But since I was with the newborns, I had a very peaceful day.

At one point in the afternoon, I actually laid down on the bed with a sleeping Delia on my chest and took a nap with the sun streaming in the window and a gentle breeze blowing.  

Why do people always think volunteering here is such a sacrifice?

No comments:

Post a Comment